Tuesday, June 15, 2004

mathematical EXPRESSION!

Is there a measure to judge how good a joke is? Well, Read this article from The Hindu. This talks about the mathematical formula for perfect jokes, grading them from worst to best on a zero to 200 scale. Here's an excerpt:

x = (f*l + n*o ) / p


A comedic value is determined by multiplying the funniness of the punch line (f) by the length of the build-up (l). This is added to the amount someone falls over (n) to the power of o - the `Ouch' factor of physical pain or social embarrassment. The total is then divided by the number of puns (p) that reduce laughter.

And to all those people who undermined my jokes as tedious, Wait till I get my scores on them..

Note: One of most embarrassing moments I could ever remember was my participation in Jokes Telling competition (I know you laughed again!).. That was somewhere during my seventh standard in Kendriya Vidyalaya, JIPMER. I was left wondering when I delivered my share of jokes: not a single face in the hall showed even an expression of smile. All were looking at me with a 'you-said-you'll-tell-some-jokes?' kind of expression.. Was that a plot of my opponents or a spell on the audience, I couldn't make out till this day.. I left the podium with the words, "THOSE, were the jokes I wanted to share. Thank you." :-|


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home