Sunday, May 23, 2004

Invitation Uninvited

I was seeing off Vj at the gate when an old gentleman and his wife came in. He asked me if 'dad' was at home. I said yes and took them inside. Dad was watching TV in the hall and he took over when they came in, while I went in to wake up mom. They had come to invite us for their son's marriage. As per tradition, the invitation was presented in a silver thaali along with beetle leaves, flowers and sindoor. Then they inquired about the children (that's me and my bro). They prepared to leave but my mom insisted that they should have some coffee at least. She went into the kitchen go get them some drink and dad followed her. He asked mom who they were. Mom stared back a minute and said -'I thought they were one of your connections?'. Hmmm..The drama was unfolding.

Dad came back to the hall. He introduced himself by his name and asked if they had intended to meet him. The old couple were taken aback a little. They had come to meet their son's friend (who was actually living two doors away!) and were by mistake, guided to our home instead. Smile crept into everyone's face as they understood what had happened.

We inquired and showed them the right house. They thanked for the hospitality and said that the invitation extended was still open and they would be glad to have us for the function. Very strange event it was that one wouldn't expect it on an otherwise normal day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home