Thursday, September 29, 2005

An Orison

Nalladhohr veenai seidhe - adhai
nalam keda puzhudhiyil yerivadhundo?
Solladi Sivasakthi! - Yenai
sudarmigum arivudan padaithuvittaai,

To condemn a veena skillfully made -
Is it wise - to the doom of negligence?
Speak out Goddess - you have created me
with sparkling intelligence..

Vallamai thaaraayo, indha
maanilam payanura vaazhvadharkke?
Solladi Sivasakthi! - Nila
sumayena vaazhndhida puriguvayo?

Wont you give me the ability,
to live a life beneficial to this society?
Tell me - Would you make me
a burden to this land, rather be?

Visaiyuru pandhinai pol - ullam
vendiya padi sellum udal ketten,
nasaiyaru manam ketten - Nitham
navamena sudar tharum uyir ketten,

I ask for a body that propels to my heart's will,
- an accelerated projectile to mime..
I ask for a clean mind and a pure soul
that glows anew every instant of time..

Thasayinai thee sudinum - Siva
sakthiyai paadum nal agam ketten,
Asaivaru madhi ketten, ivai
arulvadhil unakkedhum thadaiyuladho?

Though flames should finger my skin,
I seek an inner self that can sing in your praise.
I ask for unwavering astuteness -
Do you hesitate to grant me these?

- Subramania Bharathi

7 Comments:

At 10/04/2005 04:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone's on track here or atleast getting on track.
The knowledge that western literature epecially novels and poems can provide you is miniscule compared to the ocean of deep sanskrit and tamizh literatures.
Can you even evaluate the greatness of the men and women of India that left this treasure for us.
Not devaluing what westeners have done, but these people awoke only about 500 years ago from many millenea of darkness.

 
At 10/04/2005 04:33:00 AM, Blogger Nil said...

Though it may sound like being a patriotic partisan, I must admit that I often wonder if what we have in these literature of ours could be found in others.. So, I must fully agree with Mr. Anonymous.

The authority of Bhagavat Geeta, the sactity of Vedas, the relevence of Thirukkural, the divinity of indian music, .. These do not have match elsewhere. This reminds me of another poem by Bharathi.. That will be my next post then..

 
At 10/04/2005 04:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nil,
At last the concept has materialized...though not a separate blog on Bharathiyaar as we thot...good work...may b later all these posts can be compiled to form a new blog...will try n contibute to this....any good work needs an appreciation n here I'm congratulating you on this start...

Cheers,
Suja.

 
At 10/04/2005 04:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

superb da
kiran | 09.30.05 - 9:54 pm |

 
At 10/04/2005 04:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gr8 job nils. thats the first useful post i have read in the last coupla weeks. keep at it. educate this ignorant me.
RamV | 09.30.05 - 11:26 pm

 
At 10/04/2005 04:35:00 AM, Blogger Nil said...

Praised by Ram - so I did a decent translation I suppose!! Thanks dude!
Anyways me and Suja are planing to put up a Barathiyar-excusive blog sometime now.. But the translation stuff would not be that easy for most of the poems..

 
At 11/09/2005 08:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i'm lesly who r u?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home